Saturday 18 January 2014

Water Water Everywhere


I have always lived quite close to the sea. Even growing up in Liverpool we weren’t too far away – a bus ride and a fifteen-minute walk to the River Mersey.

Being landlocked would be a nightmare for me. I honestly don’t think I could stand it. When I visit places in the midlands here in Ireland I always like to find the nearest river or lake and go for a walk. I seem to need proximity to water in order to relax.

When I used to live in County Wicklow I was a mile away from the sea and when we moved to Galway we decided to look for a place as close to the sea as we could get without being in danger of being flooded.


COUNTY WICKLOW
Rocky beach
Greystones, County Wicklow
KINVARA
We succeeded in finding a place exactly a mile from the sea near Kinvara and we are now within walking distance of this beautiful little bay and pier below.

GALWAY
This little beach is also very near and we enjoyed some great swimming there last summer.

COUNTY CLARE
The beach below is just in County Clare and is part of the Burren. It is a favourite for walkers in the area and forms a loop around a small peninsula.


GALWAY
This bay in Maree runs out to the Atlantic. This is another favourite walk of mine and I was very lucky to be around on one of the rare occasions when the wind was quiet and the water was still enough to cast these reflections.


BALLYYAHOO 
The Kinvara area and the surrounding areas of the Burren and Maree provide much of the inspiration for my Ballyyahoo stories and sites.

No comments:

Post a Comment