Friday 24 January 2014

The Calm After The Storm

Bay At 'Ballyyahoo.'
This week saw an end to the storms that hit Ireland after Christmas. The damage around the bay is being cleaned up and anything that washed up in the storms is being moved up the pier.


THE OYSTER BED
My walks to this little bay have become even more interesting because each day when I arrive down I am greeted by something new and unusual.

The first and biggest thing to arrive was this oyster bed. It had broken up during the storm and a local farmer dragged it up the pier with a tractor and left it on this grassy area. I think its years being churned around the Atlantic and has bestowed it with a quiet beauty and I think it holds its own against the landscape.

Oyster Bed at Ballyyahoo

THE COLOUR OF ROPE

This is the view from underneath. It is a huge structure and I have no idea what it is made of but to me the pipes look like huge bones. The ropes dangling down are all different colours and wonderfully  strange.
What Lies Beneath The Oyster bed.

THE SCENT OF THE SEA

This is a side view. You can get more of a sense of its size in this photograph. I wish you could smell it as it is surprisingly fresh.

Side view

ROLL IN THE BARRELS

This little lot arrived a few days after the oyster bed. The blue barrels in the crate seemed to appear with the black square of pipe so maybe they were connected in their former life.

Roll Out The Barrels
NATURE ROCKS
This large block with a chain attached was next. It is very large and heavy and it must have been some kind of anchor. I have no idea how something this size got broken and washed up but then again I am pretty sure nature can trounce anything we can make!
Chained up


That's all for now. Happy January
Grace


No comments:

Post a Comment